7/23/07

New Ballet Shoes movie on its way

A new movie is being made of Ballet Shoes, by Noel Streatfeild, due to start production in August. They are apparently having trouble casting it --here's an article explaining the difficulty. Ballet Shoes is one of the books from my childhood I read ad nauseam-- it's the tale of three sisters at a stage school in pre-WWII London. Along with White Boots (aka Skating Shoes) and Curtain's Up (aka Theatre Shoes), it's my favorite Streatfeild, so I hope they are kind to it. The BBC did a version in 1975 (shown at left), but I've never seen it.

When I lived in England a while ago, I was staggered to realize how many books she had written that are not readily available over here. Here's a full list of her books.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I loved those books!

    The article is a fascinating take on the British obsession with accents--I haven't seen anything complaining that American children can't act convincingly in period dramas, though I'm sure American spoken English has also changed dramatically in the last 60 years or so. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles