6/13/08

The Owl Service available on DVD

I was pretty awestruck to see a comment by Alan Garner over at the Fidra blog, which I read regularly. Vanessa was talking about book banding in the UK, and Garner contributed his thoughts. My mental image of Garner is so tied his physical place--his home in Cheshire next to Alderley Edge,--that it's hard for me to imagine him as an online presence. Garner is the author of some truly excellent books for children, my favorite of which is The Owl Service.

So that led me to a google search, to see if a new book was forthcoming (no mention of one), and then on to the unofficial Alan Garner website, which has links galore to articles, interviews, and much more. Including a link to a newspaper article about a real life Owl Service event, headlined "Neighbor Killed by Owl, Not Husband."

Wandering around the Garner website, I found the perfect birthday present for my husband, who is a Garner devotee to the highest degree (the type who thinks Red Shift is a masterpiece, as opposed to those of us who think it is too depressing to even have in the same room as us let alone read), and who should now stop reading this if in fact he is.

Back in 1969, a television series was made of the Owl Service. It was filmed on location, in color, with Garner's active participation throughout the process. Here's a fascinating article about its production. Even though it was filmed in color, it was broadcast in black and white, but in February it was released as a dvd in color. With bonus features.

There are, of course, lots of movie adaptations of children's books flowing forth like, um, floodwaters or whatever, and most of them I have no particular interest in seeing. But the Owl Service, made with the creative involvement of the book's author, is one I look forward to watching.

And perhaps I shall also buy my husband another book for his Garner collection:



3 comments:

  1. Oh heavens! just browsing through your blog having found it, and they've released The Owl Service on DVD!! I was utterly obsessed with this series when it was first made, and had the book on filming the series once, but most of my children's books got lost in moving house some years ago (I'm never going to recover from that). I've got to have the DVD.

    I'm afraid I'm another who thinks Red Shift is one of the greatest novels ever.

    BTW, did you find the link to the Alderley Edge Mines on the unofficial site?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't notice a link to anything about the mines, but we visited them last time we were over there--well worth doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Ruth! I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles