4/26/09

Nebula Awards Announced--Powers by Le Guin wins!

Oh my gosh. I am stunned by the news that Powers (Annals of the Western Shore), by Ursula Le Guin--a YA novel, character driven and gently paced--has won the Nebula. My money was on The Name of the Wind all the way, which was on the longer list for the Nebula this year, but not the final ballot. *


Is this the first time a YA book has won the best novel award? I'm very pleased, because I love Le Guin in general, and am happy every time she gets recognition, but since I think that the second book in this series, Voices, is much better, I'm a little mmph-ish.

The Andre Norton Award, which specifically is awarded for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy, went to Flora's Dare: How a Girl of Spirit Gambles All to Expand Her Vocabulary, Confront a Bouncing Boy Terror, and Try to Save Califa from a Shaky Doom (Despite Being Confined to Her Room), by Ysabeau Wilce.


*edited to add--here is what Le Guin said about The Name of the Wind: "It is a rare and great pleasure to find a fantasist writing not only with the kind of accuracy of language absolutely essential to fantasy-making, but with real music in the words as well. Wherever Pat Rothfuss goes with the big story that begins with The Name of the Wind, he'll carry us with him as a good singer carries us through a song."

12 comments:

  1. Ooh! Not only is this exciting news, but I just talked about Ysabeau Wilce as an up-and-coming voice in children's fantasy. (I compared her to the British wits, actually.) Hooray! Though I confess I've yet to read Voices--will add to pile o' books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. I only read the first book in the series -- can't remember what it was called. I liked but didn't love it. Happy that YA is getting recognition, but I loved The Name of the Wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's right. Name of the Wind wasn't up this year -- didn't it come out in 07? The only one of the nominees I'd read was Little Brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously you are prescient, Kate!

    Laini- Name was actually up this year--I dunno how this is possible, but it is...The ways of the Nebula are strange, I guess.

    I felt the same way about Gifts. But Voices really grabbed me, and I bet you would like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Updated--The Name of the Wind was on the long list, but didn't make it onto the short list. And only one book--Little Brother--seems to have been published in 2008...

    huh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, weird. Wait, now that you mention it, I did see something on Pat Rothfuss's blog about how they changed the way the nominations are tallied this year, to give extra weight to members (of what? SFWA? Who judges the Nebula?) and that if they hadn't, Name would have made the shortlist. Sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um--that was actually the Locus Award...

    Oh well.

    I am sure you saw, Laini, that Pat Rothfuss is having a baby too--my first thought was a. some people will do anything for a good excuse not to write their sequels b. that you and he can schedule play dates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, so that's his excuse for making us wait so long for the sequel. Sheesh...
    Anyway - yowza!! Go Le Guin and Wilce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was surprised Powers won, too! I had it out from the library, but just couldn't seem to find the time to read it! I will have to request it again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha, Charlotte! I saw that too. The good news is: he's finished Wise Man's Fear. Yay! As for book 3, I suspect we'll have to wait a while. Fine by me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm embarrassed to say I've never read anything by Le Guin! :/ What would you suggest I start with?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you, Kelly, to have all her books to look forward to! My next post up from this has my recommedations.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles