5/8/09

Button Up! Wrinkled Ryhmes

Button Up!: Wrinkled Rhymes, by Alice Schertle, illustrated by Petra Mathers (Harcourt 2009) came my way recently when I was lucky enough to win a copy from Tricia at The Miss Rumphius Effect. This is an utterly delightful book of poems about clothes, from shoelaces to jammies to sweaters and more! All the items of clothing (sparkling characters, one and all) are worn by small animals (of equal charm).

Here's the first verse of one of my favorites:

"Emily's Undies"

We're Emily's undies
with laces and bow.
Emily shows us
wherever she goes.
She doesn't wear diapers,
not even to bed.
Now she wears undies
with ruffles instead.

(the second verse is even better).

Here's another favorite first verse, from "Jennifer's Shoes:"

We are Jennifer's shoes.
We came home in a box.
Now we go walking
when Jennifer walks.
When Jennifer walks,
we step out too-
one of Jennifer's feet
per shoe.

Gosh, I would like to keep going--these poems are so fun! The pictures are so engaging (Jennifer is a small mole child, Emily a mouse).

Thanks, Tricia, for this lovely book! (And if you visit her post here, you can read "Tanya's Old T-Shirt." Perhaps the best poem about an old T-shirt ever written for children!!!

Poetry Friday is hosted today by Picture Book of the Day.

2 comments:

  1. I was so excited when I first found out that Alice Schertle had a new poetry collection coming out. She is one of my favorite children's poets. I love this book of mask poems! It's such fun to read--and Petra Mathers' illustrations are a delight. The book has been getting lots of starred reviews...deservedly so

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very late to the party, but let me say I'm so glad you enjoyed this book. I really loved it too!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles