12/14/10

Books to give a five-year old boy

A co-worker asked me last week for book recommendations for her five-year old grandson (I love it when that happens!). Here's what I suggested--what would you add?










Lego Star Wars: the Visual Dictionary. Keeps them happy for hours, and builds their cultural literacy.

The Scrambled States of America, by Laurie Keller. Cute, funny, and educational. Can't be beat.

The Great Pie Robbery and Other Mysteries, by Richard Scarry. My boys love this one, even now that they are older. I would have recommended Busy, Busy, World (which they love even more), but it seems to be out of print...

Stinky, by Eleanor Davis. My favorite Toon book (a series of 'graphic novels' for those just learning to read).

Dragonbreath, by Ursula Vernon. Because this is an utterly charming book. It will make a nice read aloud now, and a great easy reader next year.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info! This was really helpful.

    demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just published a children's book perfect for a 5 year old ( just read it to kindergarten classes at my school). It is called Wyatt The Wonder Dog Learns About Good Manners. You can find it on amazon.com or www.wyattthewonderdog.com

    Keep on wondering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know I'd recommend IS YOUR BUFFALO READY FOR KINDERGARTEN? :)

    But also EGG DROP. The five year olds I know LOVE that book!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles