5/26/14

Armchair BEA 2014--Introducing myself

I'm so happy to be taking part in BEA again this year; it's (I think) my third time.  Here's my introductory post.

Everything I say in my "about me" section is true.

My name really is Charlotte.  It has taken me a long time to accept this fact, because a. I had an embarrassing childhood nickname  b. I couldn't spell Charlotte c.  "charlotte" means diminished, feminine version of manly man.  Ick.

I am an archaeologist living in Rhode Island (having previously admitted to living in New England, I became so find-able via google that there is no point to denying it any longer.  A search for "Charlotte" "archaeology" "new england" takes you to my work, a picture of which is shown at right.  My office is the two basement windows at the right, where they used to hold prisoners awaiting trial.  Now it's just me. 

Back when I was a little girl, I never thought I would live in Rhode Island, but then grad school happened, a job in my field happened, and then marriage (to an Irish piper and ethnomusicologist), house (old and needy, but attractive), and children (boys--13 and 11, also needy but reasonably attractive) all happened, in that order.  For a few years, chickens happened too, but that is behind me now thank goodness.  (The town animal control person only came twice, but that was plenty.  It was a happy day when the local Poultry Whisperer pulled into the driveway to take the last one away....)

Happily for me, Rhode Island has turned out to be a fine place to live.  (Although it could use a few mountains.  We have no mountains.  The landfill is doing its best, but it is not quite there yet.)

And then blogging happened, seven and a half years ago, and it has brought me much joy, many lovely friends, and lots of books. 

I have found myself over the years concentrating my blogging on middle grade science fiction and fantasy (mg sff)--books for kids 9-12 ish.   It is especially lovely to be reading this particular genre at this point in my life, because my 11-year-old and his friends are avid readers of these books as well, which allows fun sharing of books and thoughts.   If any of you all who are new to my blog are at all interested in mg sff, I do a round-up every Sunday of all the mg sff posts and reviews I can find.

And for those who might be new to the children's book blogging side of things, I'd like to put in a plug for the Kidlitosphere, which offers a directory of bloggers, an email group, and an annual conference, all of which new folks can become part of.  The Kidlit Conference (this year in Sacramento in October) is one of the best parts of being a children's book blogger--it is so, so, lovely to be among kindred spirits (and I don't think any of the past participants regret going).

(I'm on twitter as @charlotteslib)

16 comments:

  1. Greetings, Charlotte! I've always liked your name...but I hear you about the issues. I was bothered growing up that people couldn't spell my name and that it was so short and un-flowery. Now I like that it is unusual (and I've given up about the spelling). I also never thought I would live in New England, having grown up as a West Coast girl, but somehow I ended up back here...about an hour from where my father was born. Life is funny. Thanks for your blog, I really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun introduction, Charlotte! Nice to meet you.

    I love your basement (from outside). I'm sure it adds to the atmosphere. I often read the books my sons read (15 and 16 years old). It's fun to see what they read. But mainly, I read adult fiction (I read way faster than them).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year is y first year participating in Armchair BEA and I am so excited to be participating. We also have no mountains where I live, although I prefer hills over mountains. I don't read a lot of MG books, but I really enjoy them when I read one. At the moment I am looking for some great sci-fi books. It's nice meeting you Charlotte :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to meet you via Armchair BEA. This is the first time I've really participated, but it will not be the last. I love all things children's lit so I'd like to share a group I belong to as I think you might like it, too. I'm in a group that's trying to read all the 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up. It's a Yahoo group here: https://au.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/1001childrensbooksyoumustread/info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charlotte! Welcome to Armchair BEA! I don't really read a lot of middle grade books, I mostly read a lot of young adult. I love the story of your office! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a pleasure to meet you via ArmchairBEA. You have such an interesting life. I studied archaeology for a time in college. I've actually been on four archaeological and one paleontological dig. My specialty was in Native American archaeology. You could kind of say I'm obsessed with cultures and history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've known you for so long and I don't think I'm aware that you're an archaeologist? Haha I'm sorry, you might have mentioned it but I must have forgotten. I tend to remember fellow bloggers based on the books you read so for me, you're Charlotte who is an MG SFF expert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. An archaeologist is what I wanted to grow up to be when I was younger! Sadly, that didn't work out for me, but I'm glad it did for you--how fun! Nice to meet you, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about I want to have you and your husband to a dinner party. An archaeologist and an ethnomusicologist? FASCINATING.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you have a pretty interesting life! There aren't any mountains near where I live either, although there's quite a few big hills dotted around the place. And archaeology sounds really fascinating; I remember my brother went on a dig quite a few years ago, but I can't remember if they actually found anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter and I both love your name. I think that we need to buy the Tom's Midnight Garden house and make it Kidlitosphere Central-- WHAT were the owners thinking when they decorated? Flogging is too good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Charlotte -

    Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday - how nice to get to know you better! What an interesting life you lead!

    I also have 2 boys who are now 16 and 19, so I know exactly what you mean about enjoying the same books they like. My 19-year old still likes YA books, so he and I still read some of the same books - and he loves when a box of YA review books shows up here! - but he is also totally into fantasy and now reading adult fantasy series too.

    Besides two sons, we have something else in common - living in tiny states with no mountains! I am in Delaware (never thought I'd end up here, either). My sons love Rhode Island because their grandparents take them sailing every summer to Block Island for a week.

    Nice to meet you!

    Sue

    2014 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, noes! Chickens happened. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah - but Charlotte is also the name of one of my favorite author's Charlotte Bronte, so you're in good company!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great to meet you Charlotte! Hope you enjoyed ABEA!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles