9/21/15

Ripley's Believe It of Not: Eye-Popping Oddities

I always enjoy a browse through a new Ripley's Believe It or Not book, and I enjoy seeing my kids enjoying them too.   Eye-Popping Oddities (September 8, 2015) is the newest addition to the series, and it does indeed feature a bunch of people who are able to pop their eyes out to grotesque effect (I tried, and find that I unable to do this myself.  Perhaps if I had started at a younger age....).

But it's kind of hard to "review" a Ripley's book.   Some enteries are utterly fascinating bits of knowledge, accompanied by fantastic pictures, some things are kind of cute (I really liked the cabbage walkers in this one!).  I was fascinated that a Danish grad student got a $430,000 grant in 2014 to study the existence of trolls...On the other hand, there are some things that strike me as not all that interesting,  some things are just gross (like the woman who blew one of her own teeth out her nose), and others oddly inspiring (like a  gopher pelvis pendent).  So Eye-Popping Oddities, in other words, will please any fan of the series.

I kind of want to try the extreme watermelon carving art myself now (it's absolutely amazing!)....maybe next summer, but I think I'll pass on the snail poop carpet.

disclaimer: review copy received from the publisher

2 comments:

  1. Good description of this book. I browsed a copy as well and it is really all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would certainly be popular at the elementary school that I volunteered at, seeing as they enjoy the Guinness World Records books so much.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles