1/18/10

The Results of the Newbery et al.-how fantasy and science fiction fared

Here are the results of some of the awards just given out by the American Library Association (and here's the ALA official announcement of all of them):

The Newbery Award:

Honor Books:

Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Phillip Hoose

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick

Winner:

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Two years in a row of a fantasy/science fiction book winning! And a lovely fantasy book, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, being honored!


The Batchelder Award (Foreign book translated to English)

Honor Books

Big Wolf and Little Wolf

Eidi, by Bodil Bredsdorff

Gaurdians of the Darkness (Moribito II), by Nahoko Uehashi

Award Winner:

A Faraway Island by Annika Thor

Guardians of the Darkness is the second book of a great fantasy series. (I'd thought Eidi had fantasy elements, but thanks to a commenter, I've learned that it does not)


The Printz Award (YA)

Honor Books:

Charles and Emma, by Deborah Heiligman

The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey

Punkzilla by Adam Rapp

Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes

Winner:

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Only one here that's truly fantasy--The Monstrumologist. Although Going Bovine certainly has its fantastical elements!


The Morris Awards (for debut authors)

Finalists:

Ash, by Malina Lo

Beautiful Creatures, by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

The Everafter, by Amy Huntley

Hold Still, by Nina LaCour

Winner

Flash Burnout by LK Madigan

Ash, Beautiful Creatures, and The Everafter are all fantasy!


And special congratulations to my blogging friend Tanita Davis, who is now a Coretta Scott King Honor Author, for Mare's War!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Charlotte! Lots to be happy about this year--I was so happy to see Where the Mountain Meets the Moon win an Honor. And Eidi was one of my favorite books of last year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this Charolette, I couldn't get the feed up

    I am very happy for Where the Mountain Meets the Moon and The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

    Very sad about Marcelo in the Real World not even getting a Printz honor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Monstrumologist ARC from BEA that I've never read. I think that's up next. And though I really liked When You Reach Me and it does have a major sci/fantasy spin, it still doesn't really read or feel like sci/fantasy to me. But it's a terrific book. And yay for my friend Lisa Madigan for the Morris! It's not fantasy, but Flash Burnout is terrific. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so happy to see fantasy/sci fi do so well this year. Eidi was one of my favorites of the year, but I wouldn't say it was fantasy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the When You Reach Me not feeling sci-fi/fantasy. I just finished the last part of the book yesterday and it's on a fine line for me but I guess it is sci-fi/fantasy in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey. I don't normally leave comments, but I just wanted to say thanks for the great information. I have a blog too, though
    I don't write as good as you do, but if you want to check it out here it is. Thanks again and have a great day!

    Fire Mage PvP

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles