3/28/10

Middle Grade Science Fiction and Fantasy round-up for this week

Hello, everybody, and welcome to another round-up of middle grade science fiction and fantasy goodness from around the blogging world. As usual, if I missed your post, let me know!

The most exciting release of the year, as far as I'm concerned, happened this week when the fourth book of Megan Whalen Turner's series, A Conspiracy of Kings, came out to wide acclaim. Although the first book, The Thief, is solidly middle grade, the later books move up, age-wise--I'd recommend holding off on the others until you are at least 12. There are scads of reviews of C. of K. around--here's one from frequent mg sff round up contributor Book Aunt, and lots more linked to in this post at the MWK livejournal community of Sounis.


Reviews:

The Birthday Ball, by Lois Lowry, at Green Bean Teen Queen and also at Charlotte's Library

The Boneshaker, by Kate Milford (May 2010), at Book Aunt

Clone Codes, by Patricia C., Frederick, and John McKissack (2010) at Bookish Blather.

Drizzle, by Kathleen Van Cleve (2010) at Kids Lit.

Fairy Rebels, by R.J. Anderson (2009), at The Christian Fantasy Review (Fairy Rebels is this month's selection of the Christian Sci fi fantasy book tour--lots of other posts are listed at the bottom of this review).

Falling In, by Frances O'Roark Dowell (2010), at Becky's Book Reviews.

The Giver, by Lois Lowry at Bookish in a Box.

Green, by Laura Peyton Roberts (2010) at The Joys of Reading.

Guardian, by Katie Hines (2010), at Just One More Paragraph

Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven Book 5), by Brandon Mull (2010), at Craig Everett's Anopisthographic Chronicles

Knightly Academy, by Violet Haberdasher (2010), at Brooke's Box of Books.

The Name of This Book is Secret, by Pseudonymous Bosch (2007) at Book Aunt.

The New Brighton Archaeological Society, (a graphic novel) by Mark Andrew Smith, illustrated by Matthew Weldon (2009) at The Book Smugglers.

The Scarlet Stockings, by Charlotte Kandel (2008) at Booking Mama (giveaway!)

Thirteen Treasures, by Michelle Harrison (April 2010 in the US) at Charlotte's Library.

The Witchy Worries of Abbie Adams, by Rhonda Hayter (2010), at Red House Books.

News:

A modern up-date of Kipling's Just So stories is coming out this summer--more info. here at Fantasy Book Review.

Over in the UK, the Times runs a context every year (the Chicken House Children's Fiction Award) for best unpublished author. This year's winner was Janet Foxley, for Muncle Trogg, about a fairytale community living hidden inside a volcano. The winner in 2008 (the award's first year) was Raider's Ransom, by Emily Diamond, which just came out over here in the US--so by 2011 we should have Muncle Trogg in our hands...but in the meantime, you can read a bit of it here.

Sarah Prineas (author of the mg fantasy series The Magic Thief) has a fascinating discussion of fairy tale retellings happening here at her blog.

The School Library Journal Battle of the Books continues, with mg fantasy The Lost Conspiracy by Frances Hardinge headed on up into the third round...and, speaking of Megan Whalen Turner, she will be the judge when it is pitted against Charles and Emma on March 31st. I cannot wait to hear her thoughts.

I kicked off this post with a squee for MWT's Conspiracy of Kings, which is dedicated to Diana Wynne Jones (whose most recent book, Enchanted Glass, is shown at right). DWJ's struggle with lung cancer continues, and her editor at Greenwillow said in a comment at Sounis that she would welcome notes and such. Here's the address:

Diana Wynne Jones
c/o Greenwillow Books
10 E. 53rd St.
New York, NY 10022

(I originally had Greenwillow's own address here, but I've just found out that this Harper Collins address is preferable)
And on a happier note--as some of you may know, I'm a great admirer of Beth Kephart (House of Dance, in particular, knocked my socks off)--so I'm pleased as punch to say she just left a comment on my previous post saying she's writing a fantasy book! All authors I like should write fantasy books. Because, really, it's all about me. Science fiction books are acceptable as well.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info about Diana Wynne Jones, one of the best children's fantasy writers EVER. I will definitely be sending a note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A CONSPIRACY OF KINGS is definitely my most anticipated release of the year (topping even MOCKINGJAY, the third book in the Hunger Games series, and equaled only by Ally Condie's MATCHED). Megan Whalen Turner is one of my all-time favorite authors, and I'm saving CoK to read during Easter weekend.

    And thank you for sharing the information about Diana Wynne Jones. HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE is one of my favorite novels, and I will definitely being sending her a note. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for A Conspiracy of Kings! That book is my most anticipated 2010 release.

    I didn't know about Diana Wynne Jones. I loved Howl's Moving Castle and a friend just gave me Castle in the Air. I will definitely send her a note!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Great Great Blog

    Your blog is so excellent. I am your regular reader of your blog.

    I follow your blog. I like your way of posting.

    Hey i am interesting in adding your http://charlotteslibrary.blogspot.com/
    in my blog
    http://spacestation-shuttle.blogspot.com/


    I am honored to add it to my Great Blogs list.

    Will you add my blog in your blog list.

    Thanks for visiting my blog as well!

    Please reply friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your last comment is fantastic. Made me smile. And thank you for posting a mailing address for Diana Wynne Jones. I've known about her struggle with cancer for a while and would love to write her a letter. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, by the way, I did a book review for the dystopian sci-fi novel The Diary of Pelly D on my blog last week, in case you want to add it to next week's roundup list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sooooo excited about A CONSPIRACY OF KINGS! My copy arrived yesterday, and I'm now trying to decide whether to launch into a series reread right away or save it for the read-a-thon. Decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles