9/8/11

A few things I find interetesting, and a cry for help

Here are a few things that together comprise a post of somewhat interesting things:

James Kennedy, he of the insane The Order of Odd-Fish (my review, which was great fun to write!), has, as many of you doubtless know, is organizing a 90 Second Newbery Film Festival. The Deadline has been extended to October 17th. Newbery Honor books are eligible too....

Now that back to school is over, more or less, it is time to start thinking about Holiday Gift Giving. And what better gift to give a ten or eleven year old boy than two books he'll love that you won in a giveaway? The Magnificent 12 books 1 and 2 giveaway ends tonight at 12 EST--head over here to find instructions and all the clues in one place, so you don't have to blog hop.

Speaking of back to school--I just got an email from Donors Choose full of requests from teachers in my state for basic things to make learning a hopeful thing for kids in impoverished areas. Hard not to chip in $10 to make sure the kids have paper, which one teacher requested.

And finally, a personal Cry for Help, because goodness knows I need it: I am transcribing my to-be-read list (the handwritten one that sits by the computer--sometimes it's faster to write than to open a new tab etc etc) and all was going well...until this:The Game of Tripls?????? The Gone of Tujds?????? Whah.

Yay! Tricia has solved it for me--it is The Game of Triumphs, by Laura Powell! Thanks so much!

16 comments:

  1. to me, that says "the squishiness of things" but that's a picture book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could it be a game? There is a game called "The Game of Things."

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought was "The Same of Things," but I'm pretty sure that's not a proper title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out for the 90-Second Newbery contest, Charlotte!

    As for the scribble -- "Game of Thrones," surely?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Game of Kings, by Dorothy Dunnett? Though that's not YA/MG...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do want to read both the Game of Kings and the Game of Thrones, but I'm pretty sure it's not either of those....but thanks, you all, for trying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe the Sources (or the Science) of...Things? Still trying to decipher the last word. Good luck! And how sad that a teacher should require donations of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ☺ It's wrong of me to find a giggle out of the fact that you cannot read your own writing, but... I shall giggle nonetheless.

    It just really is horrifying that a teacher would need a donation for paper ... but I remember teaching at a school where the kids were required to bring two reams of their own.

    Boy, this economy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure that last word is "Turnips." Is there a book called "The Grue of Turnips?" If not, there should be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Anne Sounds like a lost Infocom game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm guessing it's Martin's Game of Thrones...(which is also on MY list - though I sort of feel like I read it back in 2002 and just can't remember).

    ReplyDelete
  12. It just doesn't look like "thrones" to me. More like "turnips." That dot must be there for a reason....

    but thank you all for trying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Game of Triumphs by Laura Powell?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the last word is tulips. No help with the title though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Tricia! That is what is is!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "The Sound of Tulips". A dutch wartime musical?

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles