1/24/12

Help the Lorax speak for the trees

UPDATE: thanks to commenter Katie DeKoster, I've learned that this petition seems to have worked! There's a Go Green button right on the front page, that takes you to "The Lorax Project."

Yay!

The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss, is brilliant, and doubtless contributed to making me the tree-hugger and frenzied recyler that I am today. I dunno if the live action movie coming out in March will be brilliant or not, but I hope that it will reach some kid, and make them think twice about buying over packaged food, or littering, or all the other small yet helpful things all of us can do.

Since the movie has a website, don't you think that website would be a pretty good place to put some information about how we can try to stop messing up our planet? Mr. Wells' 4th Grade Class, in Brookline, MA, thinks so, and they've created a petition at change.org:

We were excited for The Lorax movie to come out in March, but when we went to the movie website, there was absolutely nothing about saving the Earth which is what Dr. Seuss wanted us to learn. The site is more about selling tickets. The trailer did not include much about the environment, either! We think Universal Pictures needs to “green up" this website.

Our world, like the Lorax’s, is facing major environmental problems like pollution, global warming, oil spills, littering, a Great Pacific Garbage Patch, deforestation, and loss of animal habitat. These problems will affect our future.

The Lorax movie, with its millions of dollars in advertising and massive audience has the potential to help heal the Earth. This movie can show the world we should not take our sky, water, trees, and animals for granted. It could inspire more and more people to treat Earth with the same respect you would give a child.

Please consider signing their petition, asking Universal to "green up" the Lorax website.

5 comments:

  1. That is absolutely fantastic! What a smart group of kids. I'll definitely sign - it makes all the sense in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree: what a cool group of kids. And the Lorax made me into the tree hugger I am today, too. Something about being a kid in the 70s and 80s, I guess. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I'm going to share on my own website :) Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok - I take the re-sharing back. I think the petition might have already worked! There's a green bubble on the movie homepage that takes you to "The Lorax Project," which has tons of information and interactive games about saving the environment! Hopefully it was created as a reaction to the efforts of those kiddos!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles