8/16/12

Wings of Fire #1: The Dragonet Prophecy, by Tui T. Sutherland

Wings of Fire #1: The Dragonet Prophecy, by Tui T. Sutherland (Scholastic, July 1, 2012, ages 8 and up) , is a winner. If you have a fourth grader who's read these series--Warriors, the Guardians of Ga'hoole, and How To Train Your Dragon--and who is casting around for a new book, this is the book you should give him or her. It is a must-have for the fourth grade library (which I don't think I've ever said about a book before) and I enjoyed it rather a lot myself!

Five dragonets, each from different tribe of dragons, were taken from their homes before they even hatched, and raised in hidden cave, knowing only each other and the cold dragon guardians who watched their every move. They were raised to be the dragonets prophesied to end a terrible and bloody conflict that was tearing apart the seven tribes (Sandwings,Mudwings, Skywings, Seawings,etc.)...but the Talons of Peace, the dragons who are raising them, are afraid that they've failed to meet the terms of the prophecy. Instead of a Skywing, they ended up with a Rainwing--a tribe of dragons sneered at for being lazy and useless.

And so the guardians plan to dispose of Glory, the little Rainwing.

But the five dragonets are a team, and when they hear that Glory might be killed, they plan a daring escape. Each has their own strengths, and their own weaknesses, and none has ever been outside before. Almost immediately, they are captured by the evil Queen of the Skywings, whose greatest joy is to pit dragon against dragon in her arena of death....There the Skywing champion, barely more than a dragonet herself, defeats all comers. But the Dragonets of the Prophecy are different from other dragons--they are not bound by loyalty to their own tribes, but too each other. And that loyalty will save them....

Told from the point of view of Clay, a Mudwing, it's story of friendship, impossible expectations, and a world at war.

I sincerely enjoyed this one! I must confess I was doubtful at first, a bit condescending even, but once the dragonets had escaped from their cave, it was a page-turner! It helped that the various dragons were sufficiently characterized to be interesting, and that the world building of all the different kinds of dragons was fascinating. It helped even more so that the fights to the death in the Skywing arena weren't sugar-coated, but deadly serious, and that the Skywings champion was a surprisingly sympathetic character. It also helped that I, in general, am a fan of plucky orphans with interesting skills raised in miserable circumstances but making good, and as these dragonets are de facto orphans, they fit the bill nicely.

But even beyond those details of story, what pleased even cynical me most was that there were themes here that I was happy to have my son think about--loyalty to friends transcending blind loyalty to tribe, the need to empathize with other points of view, the need to try your best to shape your own destiny, and not be someone's tool, and the senselessness of war.

The sensitive young reader might be troubled by some of the violence--dragons really do kill other dragons. But no beloved characters die, so it's not too upsetting. It's very much in the child mindset, though--the main character, Clay the Mudwing, really wants to find his own mama....

My son has already started passing the ARC I got around to his friends, and you can bet that when the sequel comes out next January, we'll be there at the bookstore. Its kid appeal is greatly enhanced by the guide to all the different types of dragon, with appealing illustrations and nicely organized information.

Note to the author: this is a series that absolutely cries out for a website, with all the information about the different types of dragon expanded, and legends of the different dragon tribes, and little stories about the characters when they were babies, and printable pictures of the dragons etc. I looked for such a website, but didn't find it--please let me know if I missed it!

Here's another review, at SciFi Chick.

disclaimer: review copy received from the publisher.

17 comments:

  1. Love this! Definitely will purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay dragons! Perhaps I will pick this one up for the 4th grader I babysit. He's been reading How to Train Your Dragon and LOVES them, but he's very picky about books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own boy came straight to this from the How To Train Your Dragon Books (literally just a ten minute pause for cookies) and loved it....

      Delete
  3. Should make a movie

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg i read this loved it!! and ur right they should make one. I am kinda mad at kindle though cus they dont have the second book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ya it would be cool if they make a movie out of it! probably make the book a best seller!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I loved it im 12 and love dragons it was great but now I have to wait till january 1st when the second comes out the anticipation is KILLING ME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky enough to get a review copy of book 2 last week, but I haven't had a chance to read it, because my son took it school and it's making the rounds of his friends! He says its great.

      Delete
    2. i loved the book and im 13 its freaking
      awsome

      Delete
  7. This is the best book ive ever read and im only on the Th. chapter

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of this story before but have added it to my MG TBR! Don't have kids yet, but plan on sharing with them all of the good books when I do! Looking forward to giving this one a try ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great book....I have never missed my son so much. While he was reading this book I barely saw him because he was always reading it. Good book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sequels have just as much kid appeal too!

      Delete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles