5/14/13

Night Watch, by Terry Pratchett, for Timeslip Tuesday

By the end of June, I hope to have read all of the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett.  This, like so much else in my life, is an unreasonable expectation, but whatever; at any rate, I've been enjoying the process.   Especially since I have just finished my favorite of the series--Night Watch (2002).   It knocked my socks off, wrung them out, and left them to dry.

Sam Vimes has risen through the ranks to become Commander of the City Watch of Ankh-Morpork.  He is a duke. He is rich.  He loves his wife, and looks forward to the birth of their first child.

Then time turns ugly on him.  A magical storm sweeps down on the city, and with bolt of lightning, sends Sam back to the very year he first joined the City Watch.  The mysterious History Monks reassure him that history really wants to make things come out the way they should, but their vagueness is hardly comforting.   Sam's arrival coincides with the untimely, and temporally wrong  death of the Watch's sergeant--  the man who was supposed to be Sam's own mentor.   Unhappy, confused, and wanting home to still be a place that he can someday get to, Sam is at first uncertain about what he should do.

But he knows what's about to happen in the city--it's about to go up in flames of violence and rioting and death, and there are bad, bad people there pushing the violence forward.   And he knows that young Sam needs his mentor, or he won't grow up to be himself.  But most of all, he knows that he is a policeman, and he knows he is needed.

So he takes the place of the dead sergeant, and does the best he can to keep as many people safe.  Even though he knows that people will die, regardless.

And oh my gosh, I love books so much where the hero is a truly decent, good person, who knows that things are hopeless, but does the best he or she can because that is the only thing do to.   And I love books where that hero not only clings to a dogged, hard-won refusal to give up, but also is smart enough to see chances where none exist.  Sam Vines reminded me, to my great surprise and pleasure, of two of my favorite heroes-- Phaedrus from The Mark of the Horse Lord, by Rosemary Sutcliff, and Eugenides, from Megan Whalen Turner's Queen Thief Series.  

Of course, since this is Pratchett, it isn't the same as either of those two.  It's funnier, and more farcical, in true Discworld style.  There were plenty of bits that made me chuckle.  But I wept a little, at the end...

It is, I think, the time-travel of it that makes it so poignant--because Sam knows what's going to happen.   Because he can see his young self, about to face things that shouldn't happen.  Because he doesn't know if he'll get home again, to see his wife and unborn child... And still he does the best he can.

If you've not read any Discworld books before, but are intrigued--this can be read as a stand-alone, as long as you don't try to make sense of the things you don't understand, and just accept, for instance, the fact that the librarian of the Unseen University of wizards is an orangoutang.



12 comments:

  1. I am re-reading this one RIGHT NOW.
    I LOVE Sam Vimes. It's kind of an affliction. I reread the Sam books over and over.

    And oh my gosh, I love books so much where the hero is a truly decent, good person, who knows that things are hopeless, but does the best he or she can because that is the only thing do to.

    YEP. That's our Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still several Watch books I haven't read--I read this one out of order cause of the time travel. I'm looking forward to them.

      Delete
  2. And funnily enough,I just finished re-reading this one - for about the third time. It's one of his very best, I think. I love it. I love this review too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I"m still reading for the first time, re-reading isn't something that's occurred to me--but I can easily imagine doing it for this one!

      Delete
  3. Just quietly, it's lovely to hear that someone else loves Phaedrus from Mark of the Horse Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday I'll have to sit down and review it--more people should read it!

      Delete
  4. "don't try to make sense of the things you don't understand, and just accept" is pretty good advice for any of Pratchett's work.

    Also, now you're making me want to reread this. I read the Pratchett books all out of order, and now...I'm missing Sam Vimes again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Discworld books are so, so, so good--not only in terms of humor, but in terms of character and world building. Thanks for reviewing this one! (Death is actually my favorite character, but Sam Vimes is a close second. Well, and Granny Weatherwax. Well, and....)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this one. It may be my favorite Discworld novel, completely agree with all the things you loved about it. I have to disagree that it works as a stand-alone, though. I actually read it first, with no knowledge, and I definitely did enjoy it (and go on to read the rest)...but then I reread it recently after reading all the other City Guard books, and found that it meant so much more when I had context on who all these characters would grow into being. So perhaps it works alone, but I think it's much richer in context.

    But yes, LOVE this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put that in about it being a stand alone partly because I do think it can be enjoyed in isolation (although I do agree with you it's more moving if you've read the others) but mostly because I wanted to pique the interest of people who've never read Discworld and are utterly intimidated by how many books there are! (which was me, this time last year...)

      Delete
    2. This is my favorite of all the books I've read this year. Two weeks after reading it, my mind keeps offering me "See the little angels rise up, rise up....." and now the lilac is blooming....

      Delete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles