12/6/16

The books my boys are getting for Christmas

Since this is Tuesday, I should have a time travel book review, but it didn't happen, so instead I offer the books that my boys are getting for Christmas.  It would be nice if my reading taste just happened to be the same as that of my children, which would be very nice for me, but it isn't. There is only one that I was tempted to get for myself; can you guess which one?

For my 13 year old son--

Homestuck: Book Three, by Andrew Hussie.  Books one and two are out of print and too expensive at this time, so I hope he doesn't mind having just this one.  Since he loves Homestuck, it should be ok.

Year of Yesh: A Mutts Treasury by Patrick McDonnell.  Because all 13 year old boys need love and cute.

Buffering: Unshared Tales of a Life Fully Loaded by Hanna Hart.  My son took John Green's recommendation to heart, and this is the only book he specifically asked for.  I'm not quite sure what he'll make of it; the blurb references lesbian sex, which might make him blush (the sex part, not the lesbian part).

Rocks Fall Everyone Dies by Linday Ribar.  I pointed this one out to him in the bookstore, and the cover and title appealed mightily.

The Answer (Steven Universe) by Rebecca Sugar.  This turned out to be a bit on the young side, but he's a fan, so he'll enjoy it at least for one read.


For my 16-year-old son--

Mostly Void, Partially Stars: Welcome to Night Vale Episodes, Volume 1 By Joseph Fink.  Night Vale of course is geek teen staple, and I'm hoping his fan enthusiasm carries over into reading.

Hilda and the Black Hound (Hildafolk) by Luke Pearson.  He just read the fifth Hildafolk book for his work as a graphic novelist for the Cybils Awards, and happened to mention that he'd never read this one, and that really he'd like to own the whole series (which isn't going to happen this Christmas...there are limits).

Lowriders to the Center of the Earth (Book 2) (Lowriders in Space) by Cathy Camper.  He wanted it for his graphic novel collection.


The Arrival, by Shaun Tan. Another asked for because it was a gap in his collection.

(Here's his graphic novel review tumbler, if anyone wants the authentic target audience opinion....)



6 comments:

  1. I'm going to assume you already have a copy of The Arrival, so maybe the Hilda is the one you wanted for yourself?? I'm totally going by my own tastes here. Though I must say Rocks Fall Everyone Dies is an awesome title.

    I think it's fantastic that your 16-year-old has a graphic novel collection and that he asked for Shaun Tan. (I'm assuming your sons don't read your blog ... or your family isn't big on surprises?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Answer? I don't know any of these except Lowriders. My girls only ask for cookbooks these days-- I got the Leon Fast Vegetarian for my younger daughter. Older daughter asked for a Shel Silverstein poetry book, which just goes to prove that I was not their only source of book recommendations in middle school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know any of these. So glad to see your 16-year-old still loves books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charlotte, I'd love to hear suggestions for graphic novels for slightly younger boys - maybe you and your son could help me pick something for my 13-year-old. He's not a fluent or sophisticated reader, but very drawn by graphic novels. I only know things like Maus or Persepolis, and things like Kick-Ass, and Marvel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he likes sci fi/fantasy, Astronaut Academy, by David Roman, The Nameless City, by Faith Erin Hicks, Zita the Spacegirl, by Ben Hatke,Ja the Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi. There's also a very good graphic novel version of A Wrinkle in Time, by Hope Larson. If he likes insects, Clan Apis and Last of the Sandwalkers, by Jay Hosler. If he likes Greek Mythology, there's also a series about the Greek gods that's very good by George O'Conner. And here's a link to Ben's blog, wherein a 16 year old boy tells it like it is--http://agoblinblog.tumblr.com/

      Delete
  5. PS I forgot to say, your lists are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles