1/3/20

My New Year's Resolution (which involves books)

In a world that's scary (more so today than yesterday even; I don't want a war with Iran!) and burning and full of hate, books give me some comfort.  And growing up book insecure (my family tried, but we were living overseas), a stockpile on hand is soothing.  But I have now crossed the boarder from soothing stockpile to source of stress, which was driven home to me when my son asked what I wanted for my birthday, and when I said "books are always nice" he answered "but you wouldn't read it."  And I was Sad.

Also I'm worried about the structural integrity of the house underneath this pile.

nb: review copies and library checkouts (lots of both) not shown

In my defense, my retirement plan is to have a new and used children's bookstore.  So a lot of these will become stock, and count as an investment in the financial stability of future me :)

But it is still too many. So in the coming year, I'm going to make an  effort to read these.  I'm not going to another library book sale until I've read 50 of them, and I'm not buying myself a new book till I've read 100 (repeating as necessary).



6 comments:

  1. Good luck taming the book stacks, Charlotte. I took an even more drastic step yesterday, and started asking publishers to stop sending me review copies. I'm having some second thoughts on that, but I'm not really reviewing anymore, and I really need to cut down on the piles... Here's to more time to read for us both in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. goodness, that must have been a hard thing to do! Reviewing has been part of my self-identity for so many years it would be hard for me to stop. But peace of mind is also a very good thing!!!

      Delete
  2. Good luck, Charlotte. I am doing something similar. I have had a stack of YA books that straddle 2, side-by-side bookshelves, end to end for as long as I can remember. My goal in 2019 was to have read enough of my YA TBR to move them onto a proper shelf. Didn't get there, but got id down to 2/3ds of just 1. This just might be the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! Too strict book buying bans always put me in a reading slump. I apparently enjoy new books too much. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is another boost to the chorus of 'good luck's above - Good luck! Drastic change calls for drastic measures ;)

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles