9/27/26

Holidays at the Castle, by Jessica Day George

Back in October of 2011, I read Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George, and it charmed and delighted me. From my review -- "I will start by saying that this is the best castle I have ever met in my whole life."  As the series progressed, the action moved away from the castle to distant lands and seas, and there were many magical adventures.  I enjoyed these books, but not with the same warm fondness I had for the first, and so it was a treat to go back to the castle for the festivities of the Longest Night, in Holidays at the Castle (September 22, 2026 by Bloomsbury Children's Books).

At first I was overwhelmed by the large cast of characters; almost everyone we met in the earlier books has come to the castle to celebrate, and it's a tad chaotic. Celie is still front and center, though, helping to ground me.  More chaos erupts when the castle griffins start behaving with horrible aggression, except for Celie's own and one other.  And before the reason why can be found, Celie has to head out into a blizzard to save a friend lost in the snow...

And then the castle saves the day and gets to work making sure that the winter festivities are the best ever! Yay!  Warmth and community and gifts and good food and lots of magic ftw.

If you have a young reader who's never met Celie and her castle, start them now, and give this one as a gift at your own winter holiday!

disclaimer-review copy received from the publisher

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you joined us this week, Charlotte. This sounds like a sweet story for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for a review! There was a lot going on in this book, but I'm sure that fans of the series will be glad to see a holiday adventure. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one on my future read list and am looking forward to reading it even more thanks to your review. Happy MMGM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the Castle books, but I've enjoyed some of Jessica Day George's YA books. I really need to read these. The holiday focus sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A castle with a personality, how fun is that? Kids will love it. Carol Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like such a cozy, magical read. A living castle preparing for winter festivities is exactly the kind of setting I love, and Celie sounds like a wonderful character to follow. It's great to hear the sequel keeps the spirit of the earlier books alive. Thank you for the thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles