5/18/11

Waiting on Wednesday--the Book Expo America Edition

A week from today, I will be at Book Expo America! So exciting! I know, from past experience at meetings of the American Library Association, that I become over-excited when surrounded by new books. So I have made a vow not to do an imitation of Scrat (from the Ice Age movies) surrounded by more acorns than he can carry home. I will be calm, cool, and collected, and I will try to take home only books I really want (although I am very opened to being convinced I want books I didn't know I wanted....)

To help myself stay Calm, I have put together a list of the books I'm absolutely certain I would be happy to have the chance to take home with me (some of them are less urgent than others, like the Demon's Surrender and Nightspell--I'll be buying these anyway. But still).

First Second
Hera, the Goddess and Her Glory: Olympians, by George O’Connor

Chicken House
Ravenwood, by Andrew Fusek Peters

Scholastic
Rip Tide: Dark Life by Kat Falls
Liar’s Moon Elizabeth Bunce
Empire of Gut and Bone (the Game of Sunken Places 3), by M.T. Anderson

Flux
The Cupid War, by Timothy Carter

Henry Holt
The Fox Inheritance, by Mary E. Pearson

Marshall Cavendish
The Centaur's Daughter, by Ellen Jensen Abbott

Declacort
City of Lies: The Keepers, by Lian Tanner

Egmont
The Fire King: The Invisible Order, by Paul Crilley

Little Brown
Daughter of Smoke and Bone, by Laini Taylor
Dark Parties by Sara Grant

Penguin
No Such Thing as Ghosts: Dragonbreath, by Ursula Vernon
The Ogre of Oglefort, by Eva Ibbotson
Luminous, by Dawn Metcalf
Spellbound (The Book of Elsewhere 2), by Jacqueline West
Dragon Castle, by Joseph Bruchac

and of course I would love books 2, 3, and 4 of the Relic Master Series by Catherine Fisher--
Book Two: The Lost Heiress, June 14
Book Three: The Hidden Coronet, July 12
Book Four: The Margrave, August 9


(I'm giving away the first book here!)

Farrar, Straus and Giroux
The Jewel of the Kalderash: the Kronos Chronicles, by Marie Rotkoski

Harper Collins
Nightspell, by Leah Cypess
Voice of the Undead: Alex Van Helsing by Jason Henderson
Shadowcry, by Jenna Burtenshaw
The Girl of Fire and Thorns, by Rae Carson
Breadcrumbs Anne Ursu
The Trap: The Magnificent Twelve by Michael Grant
Darke, by Angie Sage

Harcourt
Circus Galacticus, by Deva Fagan

Charlesbridge
The Mystic Phyles: Beasts by Stephanie Brockway, illustrated by Ralph Masiello

Macmillan
White Crow, by Marcus Sedgwick
The Fairie Ring, by Kiki Hamilton (Tor)

Bloomsbury/Walker
Tuesdays at the Castle, by Jessica Day George
Little Women and Me, by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Simon and Shuster
The Demon’s Surrender
Torn: The Missing, by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Goliath: Leviathan, by Scott Westerfeld

Candlewick
A Year Without Autumn, by Liz Kessler
The Unforgotten Coat, by Frank Cottrell Boyce
The Midnight Zoo, by Sonya Hartnett

Hyperion
Vanished by Sheela Chari (Thank you Doret!)

Running Press
The Wikkeling, by Steve Arntson

Am I missing anything obvious that I should add to my list??????

12 comments:

  1. Ooo, great list! If it were me I would definitely be after Girl of Fire and Thorns and Liar's Moon!

    I hope you get a copy of Circus Galacticus! I think it is supposed to be there, but I would love to hear for sure if you find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh. what a list! and I know I don't write books in your genre of interest, but I would love to finally meet you, if you are around at 10 AM Wednesday morning. I have a signing then. Would love to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope so too, Deva!

    And I would love to meet you in person too, Beth! I'm not sure I'll be able to catch an early enough train to make your signing, but I'll look out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a few of the books on your list are on my BEA list too. Although, I'm really hoping there are ARCs of The Demon's Surrender, even though I'll be buying a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was going! Those would be some of my top picks too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice that your only getting books you like and not everything

    Vanished by Sheela Chari.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Doret, that's my hope at least...we will see.

    And yes, Vanished looks like it is Utterly up my ally, so I shall add it to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome list. And that is so cool that you get to go. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo I'm so so jealous. I hope you are able to bring home all the books on your list with a few surprises :)

    I especially would want Circus Galacticus, Vanished and Breadcrumbs. I was fortunate to receive an ARC of Luminous otherwise I'd be sobbing with envy haha.

    Enjoy your time at BEA, post some pics/a recap if you can. I personally love reading about people's BEA experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Natalie and Miss A! I will try to take pictures...I wish you could both be there too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks a good list to me. And, yes...stay calm. Just like I would, lol...I got all excited just looking at your list! Enjoy the week....!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'll be there on tuesday and wednesday too! maybe we will bump into each other at the exhibits.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles