4/2/08

The Books of March

Here are the books I read last month, not counting things read out loud to children and re-reading (I read quite a few of Miss Read's Thrush Green books, for instance--I had a cold and needed to cosset myself; these are about as cosseting as one can get).


Wilderness Roddy Doyle (I was a tad dubious about this one--the other book by him I've read, Paddy Clark Ha Ha Ha, was rather traumatic (poor Sinbad). But either I'm a stronger person now, or this one was gentler (the later) Two boys and their mother go off for a wilderness holiday in Finland in winter; back home in Ireland, their older half sister awaits the visit of her own mother, who left her when she was a baby. Nothing terrible happens).

Firegirl, by Tony Abbott (too short--I would have appreciated more of Tom and Jessica's relationship, but I guess part of the point is that even small meetings can have big impacts. Or something.)

Leepike Ridge by N.D. Wilson (one I'm looking forward to putting in my boys' hands in a few years--a great adventure story), and also Wilson's 100 Cupboards (the cupboard concept is great, and I'm looking forward to the sequel).

Good Enough Paula Yoo (loved it; planning on review in it detail)

Surviving the Applewhites (This was a 2003 Newbery Honor book; deservedly so. But I think that when a book starts from the point of view of a girl and you start investing in your relationship with her it's not fair to move almost entirely to the point of view of someone else altogether. But a good book nonetheless, especially for people like me who have a weakness for fictional amateur theatrical productions).

Songs for a Teenage Nomad Kim Culbertson (I'll be reviewing this one in detail d.v.)

Eggs Jerry Spinelli (it was ok, but I think I missed some crucial egg metaphor here. For instance, I noticed no hatching. Possibly some cracking out of shells???).

It's Kind of a Funny Story Ned Vizinni (very good book--quite high in my list of fictional teens in mental institutions, although I will always bear a torch for I Never Promised You a Rose Garden)

Freak the Mighty W. Rodman Philbrick (I cried. What a good good book. I'm not rushing out to get the sequel, Max the Mighty, just yet, in case it's an anticlimax. I don't see how it can not be).

The Alton Gift Marion Zimmer Bradley and Deborah J. Ross (need I say more. I've given up on the Pern books, but some things from my youth still call to me. Hawkmistress was a great favorite when I was 14 or so. I think readers currently devouring Shannon Hale's books would love it).

Long Live the Queen and Friends for Life Ellen Emerson White (I doubt I'll re-read either of these. Especially the first--I'm rather wimpy when it comes to pages and pages of horrible suffering).

The Whillougbys Lois Lowry, 2008 (loved it lots, will be reviewing it)

The Mummy Market Nancy Brelis (found a copy in Rhode Island's library system after reading about it here, at the great blog Collecting Children's Books; enjoyable and I'll buy it if I find it, but my socks stayed on).

Time Out for Happiness by Frank B. Gilbreth Jr (I was very chuffed to find this in a box of book sale donations--I enjoyed Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes very much, and although this book is more a biography of the Gilbreth parents, it was nice to visit the family afresh).

Home from Far Jean Little (she's a good writer, this is a good story about the death of a sibling and the arrival of foster children, but not one of her best books. On the other hand, I was reading it with a bad cold on a bus at 6:30 in the morning, so it had a lot to contend with).

The Compound, by S. A. Bodeen (here's my review)

Eighteen new books, many of which I enjoyed lots and will re-read. Pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is a lot of books. If I read 10 or 12 a month I feel like I'm doing pretty well. And you have twice as many kids as I do!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles