1/24/10

This Sunday's Round-up of Middle Grade Fantasy and Science Fiction from around the blogosphere

Here's what I found while wandering the internet this week looking for reviews of middle grade science fiction and fantasy, and related miscellany. Please feel free to send me links to anything I missed!

The big news this week is, of course, that a middle grade sff book, When You Read My, by Rebecca Stead, won the Newbery!

Alex and the Ironic Gentleman at The Book Zone (for boys)

Darkhenge
, by Catherine Fisher, at Charlotte's Library (technically YA, but one upper middle grade kids might enjoy).

The Ever Breath, by Julianna Baggott, at InfoDads.

The Giant-Slayer, by Iain Lawrence, at Charlotte's Library, and also at InfoDad (scroll down). Not, strictly speaking, fantasy, but with a large chunk of fantasy contained within it.

The Grey Ghost
, by Julie Hahnke, illustrated by Marcia Christensen at Fantasy Book Critic

The Case of the Purloined Professor: The Tails of Frederick and Ishbu by Judy Cox, at Fantasy Book Critic (scroll down)

The Lotus Caves, by John Christopher, at Rhiannon Hart's blog (Science Fiction! How rare!)

The Night Fairy, by Amy Schilz, at Fuse #8.

Powerless, by Matthew Cody, at Fuse #8.

Ring of Fire (Century Quartet, Book 1), by P.D. Baccalario, at Charlotte's Library.

Unfinished Angel, by Sharon Creech, at Book Nut.

Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains, by Laurel Snyder, at Charlotte's Library.

A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeline L'Engle, at Book Nut.

Kate at Book Aunt takes a look at a number of great graphic novels for kids, several of which are fantasy.

There's a great discussion of Folk Tales in the publishing world today at Bobbi Miller's blog--Where have all the Folk Tales Gone?

The Aurealis Awards, honoring the best Australian Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror have been announced:

Best Young Adult Novel: Leviathan, by Scott Westerfeld, (Penguin)*
Best Children's Novel: A Ghost in My Suitcase, by Gabrielle Wang, (Penguin)
Best Children's Short Fiction/Illustrated/Picture Book: Victor's Challenge, by Pamela
Freeman, illustrated by Kim Gamble (Walker Books)
Best Illustrated Book/Graphic Novel: Scarygirl, by Nathan Jurevicius (Allen &
Unwin)

*In case you were wondering, Westerfeld has permanent residency in Australia, thanks to his marriage to Justine Larbalestier.

Feel free to send me links for next Sunday at any time during the week.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for rounding these up! I have a few of them on my to read shelf, otherwise known as the ever growing pile of books :)

    Some of them I should look into :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great roundup! Darkhenge is a pretty good one--I remember reading that a while ago. I'm just reading Leviathan right now and really enjoying it--didn't know about the Australian award, but I'm not too surprised it's in there. I've enjoyed just about everything I've read of Westerfeld's--even his vampire novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! I've got Leviathan on my TBR list and I HAVE to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading The Puzzle Ring at the moment, a book that lost out to Leviathan at the Aurealis awards. It's so good. I hope you come across it.

    Thanks for posting my review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte, I like your middle-grade fantasy and SF roundup idea. A very good resource!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the mention!

    I just posted a free curriculum guide to the first two books in The Tails of Frederick and Ishbu series on my website at www.judycox.net

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles