1/23/11

This Sunday's round-up of middle grade science fiction and fantasy from around the blogs

Welcome to another week of middle grade science fiction and fantasy posts from around the book blogging world! Pleased let me know if I missed any posts...either by commenting, or emailing me-- charlotteslibrary at gmail dot com (and I welcome links at any time during the week!).

I've been asked to recommend other book blogs that review a lot of mg/ya speculative fiction--I have a list to the right of those I read regularly, and of course I link to a lot of other blogs during the course of these weekly round-ups. But if anyone would like to recommend their own favorite blogs with this particular focus, please leave a comment!

The Reviews:

13 Treasures, by Michelle Harrison, at The Book Smugglers

Airman, by Eoin Colfer, at Books For Youth

The Adventures of Nanny Piggins, by R.A. Spratt, at Cloudy With a Chance of Books

Behemoth, by Scott Westerfeld, at Biblio File

Between the Forest and the Hills, by Ann Lawrence, at Charlotte's Library

The Conch Bearer, by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni at Charlotte's Library

Cloaked, by Alex Flinn, at Book Aunt (this seems to be one of those younger YA books that's a good fit for upper mg readers)

Cosmic, by Frank Cottrell Boyce, at The Book Smugglers

Crossing Over (Suddenly Supernatural 4), by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel, at Reading Vacation

The Emerald Atlas, by John Stephens, at Shannon Whitney Messenger

The End of the World Club, by J. & P. Voelkel, at The O.W.L. and at Brooke Reviews

Fused, by Kari Lee, at Reading Vacation and Magic Bean Review

The Girl Who Could Fly, by Victoria Forester, at Lucy was robbed

Jane and the Raven King, by Stephen Chambers, at Mother Daughter Book Club

The Kings of Clonmel, by John Flanagan, at One Librarian's Book Reviews

Modern Fairies, Dwarves, and Other Nasties: a Practical Guide by Miss Edythe McFate, by Lesley M.M. Blume, at Margo Dill's Read These Books and Use Them

The Old Country, by Mordicai Gerstein, at Charlotte's Library

Scumble, by Ingrid Law, at Library Chicken

Small Persons With Wings, by Ellen Booraem, at Book Aunt

TIM: Defender of the Earth, by Sam Enthoven, at Ms. Yingling Reads

A True Princess, by Diane Zahler, at Book Aunt

The Undrowned Child, by Michelle Lovric, at Book Grotto

When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead, at Book Grotto

Wintercraft, by Jenna Burtenshaw, at Beyond Books

Interviews:

Ellen Booraem (Small Persons With Wings) at The Enchanted Inkpot

Kari Lee Townsend (Fused) at Reading Tween
Other Good Stuff:

Jane Yolen is this week's Fairytale Reflections guest at Seven Miles of Steel Thistles

The writers over at the Enchanted Inkpot ask us to ponder "What's So Different About Children's Fantasy?"

Still more good stuff, though not mg sff:

At the Brown Bookself, there's the announcement of the 24 authors and 4 illustrators to be spotlighted in the 4th 28 Days Later initiative, "a month-long celebration of veteran and emerging children’s authors of color."

Bleeding Violet, by Dia Reeves, will be the book discussed for the African-American Read-In, a discussion organized by Ari, Edi, and Doret -stay tuned for the February date (I have been meaning to read Bleeding Violet for ags, so this makes me happy).

And finally, this week's random thing, which raises the bar something fierce for parents who are sff fans.

A personal TARDIS, made of cardboard (read more at io9).

My own cardboard skills clearly don't cut it (pun intended).

one last thing: I'm giveway two YA arcs (Sean Griswold's Head, by Lindsey Leavitt (March 1), and Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance, by Emily Franklin and Brendan Halpin (Feb 1), both from Bloomsbury), so leave a comment on the post where I talked about it first by midnight EST tonight if you'd like them!

5 comments:

  1. Charlotte, I am glad you'll be joining us for the Read In.

    Can you put my name in the drawing for Sean Griswold's Head. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doret, I'm looking forward to it! And I see that I was very confusing, by saying to "leave a comment on this post" when the link actually took people to the actual giveaway post, so I added you into the drawing by putting the relevent part of your comment there too. And I fixed what I said in my post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, for one happy minute, I thought I won by default.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers for the mention :) Can't recommend The Undrowned Child enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting my question Charlotte. Love the round-ups.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles