5/11/11

Waiting on Wednesday -- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

My pick for this week's Waiting on Wednesday (a meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine) is a YA title coming out June 7-- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs (Quirk Books).

Here's the description:

"A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows."

Doesn't that sound utterly delectable?

Edited to add: since writing this post, I've read and reviewed this here.

8 comments:

  1. I've been reading Ranson Riggs for ages in mental_floss and its blog and so JUMPED at the chance to review this. (Also, jumped at the chance to review something from Quirk sans zombies...) I've loved seeing the found photographs that Ransom Riggs collects - so many story fragments. This book looks spooky and delightful and weird, and I'm excited to see it. I hope it's really YA/MG and not an adult version of such...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo excited about this one! It looks so creepy/amazing/beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting! Here's my WoW (:

    btw, you might also want to join our GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, neat! I hadn't heard of this before, such a bizarre idea (in the good way.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of Ranson Riggs before now, Tanita--I shall go forth and look forthwith!

    Thanks all of you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I want that book much now. If, as they say, it's really as good as the package says.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been patiently waiting for this one too, it looks delightfully creepy, and the photography aspect has me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles