10/31/12

Waiting on Wednesday--Elemental, by Antony John


Always there are more books that I want, though I have so very, very, many to read...Today I'm looking forward to Elemental, by Antony John, author of Five Flavors of Dumb, which I've heard many good things about, and which I want to read too!  With his new book (coming November 21 from Dial), John has turned to sci fi/fantasy, and it sounds great:

Here's the Amazon blurb: "In the near future, most of the population of the United States has been destroyed by the plague. The few remaining survivors live in colonies on the barrier islands off the East Coast. In one colony near Cape Hatteras, almost all the members have elemental powers and can control wind, water, earth, and fire. All but sixteen-year-old Thomas. When the Guardians, the powerful adult leaders, are kidnapped by pirates seeking to take over their colony, it is up to Thomas and a small group of teens to save them and preserve the mysteries of the island.

Fast action, strategy, and mystery churn together into a bold and fresh fantasy from an award-winning author."

And here's the Goodreads blurb"Sixteen-year-old Thomas has always been an outsider. The first child born without the power of an Element—earth, water, wind or fire—he has little to offer his tiny, remote Outer Banks colony. Or so the Guardians would have him believe.

In the wake of an unforeseen storm, desperate pirates kidnap the Guardians, intent on claiming the island as their own. Caught between the plague-ridden mainland and the advancing pirates, Thomas and his friends fight for survival in the battered remains of a mysterious abandoned settlement. But the secrets they unearth will turn Thomas’ world upside-down, and bring to light not only a treacherous past but also a future more dangerous than he can possibly imagine."


I'm always intrigued by sff that involves the elements...

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

7 comments:

  1. Great pick, I'm looking forward to it as well! Thanks for sharing! ^.^ If you would like to check out my Waiting On Wednesday you can do so here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice!! I've been stalking this one for a while now. It seems like every week there's a new giveaway for it on Goodreads.. but I never win! LOL! I can't wait to read it and I hope it's as good as it sounds. :)

    My WoW - Pulse

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Five Flavors of Dumb. It was such a unique book. I'm interested in how he will write a dystopian as opposed to a contemporary novel. Great choies!

    Jenny @ Book Sojourner
    http://booksojourner.blogspot.com/2012/10/waiting-on-wednesday-2-stolen-nights.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like SFF centered around the elements as well. And I will echo in saying Five Flavors Of Dumb was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am intrigued by anything new with a SFF label. This one sounds good - I'll be looking forward to it also. Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this but it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles