1/28/13

Award winning books as investements....

My approach to ALA Award Day is not pure happy celebration of childrens' books, but is somewhat twisted by the trill of personal challenge I've added--as soon as the winners are announced, I charge off to the local bookstores to try to buy first editions.  This constitutes a considerable part of my college savings plan for the children.  

This particular Newbery Day didn't add much, however, in terms of book hoard value--The One and Only Ivan came out too long ago, and was too popular, for first editions to be ripe for the picking, and the Caldecott winner, This Is Not My Hat, is too recent, and probably has too huge a print run, to be worth stocking up on in bulk--I only bought two.   However, it might well prove very difficult to find mint condition copies in ten or so years (when I'll be paying for college), because I noticed in today's shopping that the black cover shows every bit of shelf wear, and every fingerprint that's ever touched it.  Happily, though, I was able to correct my local bookseller's misapprehension that it was I Want My Hat Back that had won.  She really wasn't believing me, and I had to be very firm about it before she was doubtful enough to go check.  I feel pleased that I was able to be helpful.

I actually have read the Printz Award winner for the first time since I started paying attention to it--In Darkness, by Nick Lake.  Here's my take on it.  I am a little sad that I didn't keep the ARC, but I think it would be really unreasonable to keep every ARC one gets just on the off chance of them being collectible in the future.  Limits.

8 comments:

  1. I always feel funny keeping ARCs, so passed my copy of The One and Only Ivan on to... I don't remember! Drat! I never thought of buying award winners, but probably have a copy of Criss Cross if you need one. in good shape, just with a teacher's name in it. (We both disliked it enough that I never put it in the library.) Bet you were glad about Splendors and Glooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A first of Criss Cross is currently going for $125 on ebay, although that's an unread copy. Sadly, the teacher's name cuts down on the value of your copy...unless she goes on to write her own Newbery winner or some such....

      Delete
  2. That's actually a pretty cool thing to do. For a while, I was collecting all the Caldecott winners, but I gave that up. I don't remember why though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you say... LIMITS! I was surprised at some of the picks, happy about others - seemed like a pretty good year, all in all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it felt like a fine year, although Ivan would not have been my pick!

      Delete
  4. I had a chance to get the IN DARKNESS ARC, but decided not to trade for it. Guess I should've!

    It's amazing how I'm paying more attention than ever to books coming out, but still had no clue what would win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get especially nervous when I think about all the books that come out early in the year--what if one on shelves right now will win next year...

      Delete
  5. What a delightful idea to think of these titles as investments - especially since you're buying enough to keep one! thanks for sharing, and thanks for being part of the 2013 comment challenge!
    best,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles