3/28/13

Poseidon, by George O'Connor

Poseidon: Earth Shaker (First Second, March, 2013) is the fifth of the Greek gods to get his own graphic novel, in the stellar series written and illustrated by George O'Connor.

The series as a whole is an extraordinarily kid-friendly introduction to the Greek pantheon, and although I wouldn't recommend starting with Poseidon, this latest volume is a fine addition to the series.

It's somewhat episodic, beginning with the division of the cosmos between the three main gods (Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon), with Poseidon revelling in his new dominion over the sea.  The stories of Odysseus and how he outwitted the Cyclopedian (Cyclopsian?) son of Poseidon, and Theseus, another son, come next, followed by the story of the contest between Poseidon and Athena over Athens.  The story concludes with a flashback back to the early struggles between the gods and the Titans, emphasizing the overall theme of the book--Poseidon's conflict between the joy he takes in his dominion of the sea, and his sense that somehow he has been wronged.

Though this is a kid-friendly series, it's not something I'd give to a kid younger than ten or so--there are "adult themes" as is so often the case when one deals with the Greek gods...But for the older, perhaps reluctant reader, this series is a spot-on introduction to the stories--the pictures are powerful and utterly memorable (true for all the books, but I think in this book they are particularly compelling, what with all the ocean action opportunities provided by the subject matter), swinging the events along very nicely indeed. Adding value for teachers, and written in a manner engaging enough for the curious young reader, there's interesting back-matter included as well.

(review copy received from the publisher)

10 comments:

  1. My 12 year old is currently going through a fascination with greek gods, I've just ordered Zeus for him. Thanks for highlighting this interesting series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good--my own 12 year old likes these very much, and I hope yours does too!

      Delete
  2. My daughter loves this series! I'll be sure to pick a copy of this one up for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I wasn't aware of this series! I must look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just LOVE books based on Greek Mythology. Thanks for sharing this series I haven't seen before in the Kid Lit Blog Hop. You have a great blog and I'm now following you via Twitter. Is there an option to subscribe by email? Nice to "meet" you! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee! Thanks for stopping by, and for the email subscription suggestion--I've just put in a button for that.

      And now I'm off to visit you...

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing it with us on the Kidlitbloghop. I think graphic novels are so great to get that reluctant reader interested. Cheers Julie Grasso

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting series. That is a lot of content for one book. Lots of action, too. I enjoyed your review. Here from the hop and want to thank you for joining in.

    Sue @ Kid-Lit-Reviews.com (hostess)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! We love Greek mythology here as well. Although we don't read many graphic novels, I will look for these in the future though. Thank you for adding the email subscription - that is the easiest way for me to remember great blogs, like yours!
    ~Cool Mom for Stanley & Katrina
    Doing the Kid Lit Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. The boy and I have been enjoying this series tremendously. We just got this one the other day!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles