5/16/13

2013 Mythopoeic Award finalists announced

 I quite like the choices made by the folks handing out the Mythopoeic Awards--they have historically have very good taste.  The awards are given in the categories of Adult Literature, Children's Literature, and two categories of scholarship--Inklings Studies, and Myth and Fantasy Studies.


The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children’s Literature honors books for younger readers (from “Young Adults” to picture books for beginning readers), in the tradition of The Hobbit or The Chronicles of Narnia.

I'm not at all sure that this year's finalists actually meet that criteria, but it's a nice list none the less (special yay for Giants Beware!, a book I adored):
  • Jorge Aguirre and Rafael Rosado, Giants Beware! (First Second)
  • Sarah Beth Durst, Vessel (Margaret K. McElderry)
  • Merrie Haskell, The Princess Curse (HarperCollins)
  • Christopher Healy, The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (Walden Pond Press)
  • Sherwood Smith, The Spy Princess (Viking Juvenile)
The Adult Finalists are interesting too:
  • Alan Garner, Weirdstone trilogy, consisting of The Weirdstone of Brisingamen (Collins), The Moon of Gomrath (Collins), and Boneland (Fourth Estate)
  • Caitlin R. Kiernan, The Drowning Girl (Roc)
  • R.A. MacAvoy, Death and Resurrection (Prime Books)
  • Tim Powers, Hide Me Among the Graves (William Morrow)
  • Ursula Vernon, Digger, vols. 1-6 (Sofawolf Press)

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I had to go look at the past awards and see how many I'd read (maybe not embarrassingly little, but certainly less than half.), and remember that my parents used to edit the newsletter in their grad school days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What cool parents! I just went and had a look at past winners/finalists myself...if I didn't already have a tbr of doom, I could certainly make a substantial one from the books I haven't read.

      Delete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles