6/28/13

How do you find out about YA and Middle Grade books that are out in the UK?

So I am talking at the upcoming Discworld Convention about how to keep your YA tbr pile well-stocked with books such as would appeal to a Pratchett fan ...and so naturally I was wondering what UK YA and MG books are out there (Terry Pratchett being UKian), that haven't made it across the pond...and then I realized I had little clue how to find out. 

Every time a UK Awards list is posted, I thrill to the sight of new to me MG and YA books that look really, really good.  And I wonder what great books I'm missing, and I wish that I knew of more blogs that covered UK releases for those ages. 

Some publishers I know about, and I guess I could try to check their catalogues, and I know of three useful blogs (Mr Ripleys Enchanted Books, Bart's Bookshelf, and An Awfully Big Blog Adventure), and I read the Guardian.  Is there Something Else one can do to stay au courant with spec fic for the younger reader in the UK?????

Thanks to Katherine Langrish, I've learned about a site new to me, UKYA --"celebrating YA fiction by  UK authors."  Lots of speculative fiction!

And thanks to Malinda Falgoust, I've bookmarked the Kelpies page at Floris Books--classic and contemporary children's books set in Scotland, with a lot of fantasy!

Suggestions welcomed for all other countries where sci fi and fantasy books for kids and teens are written in English.

If I was at ALA this weekend, here's the UK book I would be frantic to get (coming out in the US this fall....)


8 comments:

  1. I have that ARC! (And should really read it ...) I can ship it to you when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But someone asked for a copy for me at ALA, so I'm all set!

      Delete
  2. I would love that book too. Thanks for the info on where to find out information. I wish I knew more sources.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some fabulous books coming out of Scotland through the Floris Books Contemporary Kelpies line. My blog at www.melindatfagoust.doodlekit.com/blog has actually recently featured Gill Arbuthnott's "The Chaos Clock" and it's sequel "The Chaos Quest" and will be featuring many more Kelpies prize-winners with giveaways in weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will head on over.

      Delete
    2. For those interested in Malinda's blog-- it's http://www.melindatfalgoust.doodlekit.com/

      Delete
  4. I wish I knew more about UK YA novels. That would be lovely. I only ever hear about UK kidlit when I bother going about looking at Whitbread Prize winners. (Or Costa prize, I guess it's called now.) That's where I heard about Hilary McKay for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, I ask, is there no Kirkus or PW or SLJ in the UK???????

      Or alternatly, why does no one send me lists of books published elsewhere in the world that I personally would like...

      Delete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles