10/8/22

This Appearing House, by Ally Malinenko

 

So today I found amongst the electronic detritus of my gmail a B. and N. gift card I hadn't used, went out to spend it, and after much thought and wandering came home with This Appearing House, by Ally Malinenko (August 2022 by Katherine Tegen Books).  And then I neglected household tasks and read it, so yay for me!

The House appears one day, at the end of a cul-de-sac.  Jac tries to accept without question that it is there, when it wasn't the week before.  

And what with the tensions already in her mind--the ordinary new kid in school sort, and the bigger trauma of her five year anniversary of cancer diagnosis, with a mom who's constant concern is becoming smothering. Every clumsiness, every nervous shaking of her hands, could be a sign that she isn't free and clear after all.

The House calls to her.  

Two of the boys who are class bullies dare Jac and her friend Hazel (a boy named after the rabbit, which the bullies have a field day with), to go inside.  All four end up going in. They find nightmare built on nightmare. 

Jac knows the House wants something from her...and until she figures out what that is, it won't let her go.

Was it pleasure reading?  Not exactly--horror isn't my thing, and the House is a horror-poloza.  It is a good mix of the profoundly disturbing, the terrifying, and the repulsive. I think young horror lovers will enjoy it. I have to admit I didn't linger on all the different nightmarish encounters, because my mind has a bad habit of playing disturbing images from horror books and movies back to me in exquisite detail which I don't appreciate.  (content warning--tooth trauma)

Before I could turn off the keen, alert, reading part of my mind, though, there was a tooth thing. If you, like me, knocked your front teeth out at a young age and subsequently had recurring nightmares where you bit into apples and saw your teeth imbedded in them, be warned!  This is the closest I can remember to feeling physically ill because of a scene in a book.

But behind the smoke-screen of the grotesque, this is a moving and thought-provoking story, about acknowledging trauma, but not letting that be all-defining.  Being angry, sad, and terrified about having gotten a crap deal, but being able to start letting life flow onward is good to think about. I rarely call books "heartfelt" because it seems a nebbishy thing to say, but in this case it feels valid-- Jac's story came from the author's heart and her personal experience, and it resonated with my heart and my personal experience (the teeth aren't my only past trauma--I had a bad patch of way too many MRIs myself.  Seven months pregnant, told I had a tumor behind my right eye, no way to know till baby was born if it was benign or not.....then baby and brain surgery simultaneously.  All better now, I hope, knock on wood....)

However, all that being said--short answer is that this is a good mix of horror, a really strong MG friendship (Hazel is great) and good and useful things to think about when one feels introspective.  

This Appearing House is eligible for this year's Cybils Awards in Elementary/Middle Grade Speculative Fiction, and is still waiting to be nominated!  If you would like to take care of that, here's the nomination page--Cybils Awards Nomination Form



2 comments:

  1. Definitely understand about the tooth trauma and horror not being your thing! Good for you for soldiering through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a pretty tough time yourself, Charlotte, and I'm really glad to hear all is well now :). I read and loved Ghost Girl last year (you might remember) but there were parts of the story that genuinely freaked me out, and This Appearing House sounds terrifying! I like horror, though not sure about the teeth kind... but I like the fact that it deals with trauma, something will resonate with lots of kids (and adults). Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles