10/9/22

Windswept, by Margi Preus

Windswept by Margi Preus, illustrated by Armando Veve (September 2022,  Harry N. Abrams) is a middle grade fairytale, in which a dauntless girl, with brave and gifted companions in true fairy tale style, must save her sisters from a curse.  It is also a fable of environmentalism, set in a time after the collapse of our current status quo.  And it is also a good read with beautiful writing, though not quite to my personal taste.

Tag's three older sisters went outside to play, and she tried to go to, but being younger, she was slower.  And so when the wind came up and swept the other girls away, Tag was left behind.  Shut up in a sad house with only a knot hole to peek through at the outside world, she was kept safe, like all children under 15, from being windswept.

But one day another child, breaking the rules about kids being outside, stuffs a message through her knot hole--a map showing a meeting spot.  And Tag remembers that there might be a way out of the confines of her safe house--up in the attic.  There is, and not only does she make it outside, but she takes with her a book of fairy tales that had been hidden up there.  The fairy tales, forbidden by the government, are as new and magical to her as the outside world.

She finds the meeting place, and there meets a group of other kids who are determined to find out where the wind has taken their own siblings.  The book of fairy tales is the only guide book they have.

Then comes a truly fairy tale journey, the sort where some will help and some would hurt, where wits and true heart matter more than strength. And in the end, as the reader of fairy tales knows she will, Tag frees her sisters and the other children the wind has taken.

If you have read fairy tales, you will recognize many elements of them in the story; it was like seeing old friends.  If you are a child who hasn't, it's no great mater--the magical journey stands on its own, full of encounters beautiful, whimsical, and dangerous.  This is the part that's not quite to my personal taste--magical episodic journeys just aren't my favorite thing.

That being said, I appreciate that there's plenty of emotional weight to this particular journey--Tag has (understandable) self-doubt, and all the kids (who I liked very much) bring with them the sadness of losing their siblings.  Heavier weight comes from the book's message about human greed and disregard for the environment, which though a bit forced at times was still powerful and timely.

My brain is such a word-eater when I get going reading that I didn't register the illustrations because they weren't words (oh, there was an illustrator? I thought when I started writing this post...sorry illustrators...)  But I see going back through the book that in fact there are decorations and some full pictures that help make this a Story, like Tag's beloved fairy tale book...

Short answer--glad I read it, parts were lovely and make memorable pictures in my mind that I appreciate lots, and I bet there will be plenty of kids who love it.  

ps.  I am currently frantically trying to read as many middle grade sci fi and fantasy books as possible, before the public nomination period for the Cybils Awards ends (October 15) so that I can my use my own nomination as best as possible, and also so that I can encourage others to nominate.  Windswept is eligible this year, but hasn't gotten its call yet, and there are a bunch of others still waiting here on the Elementary/Middle Grade speculative fiction ideas board.....If you've already nominated a book, thanks, and if you haven't, do think about showing a book some love! Here's where you nominate--Cybils Awards Nomination Form

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a book lots will love, thanks for sharing. I totally plan to nominate a book for Cybils but it's hard to choose one! Thanks for the reminder of the closing date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are joining #MMGM! I have this book on my TBR, but it's not calling my name very loudly. With you on the illustrations. Hope to get a moment to nominate books this week. There's been some stuff going on, but I should get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you joined MMGM, Charlotte. I might like this one, but I have SO many other books I'm dying to read that I don't know if I can get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally got my Cybils nominations in over the weekend, but thanks for the reminder to anyone who has let it slip. Your review of this new title has me adding it to my future read list. The characters and fairy tale background are enticing elements. Might be a good read aloud too. Have a Happy MMGM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to MMGM. I'm not a big fantasy reader, but occasionally one grabs me. The cover is certainly intriguing and I bet will draw readers in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to MMGM! What a fascinating and unusual tale. Have all my nominations in for Cybils. Purchased two new books on Oct 4 that are worthy of MG nominations this year and last time I looked they weren't nominated: Two Degrees by Alan Gratz and Undercover Latina. Haven't read them, but have skimmed them. If anyone is looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I'll add them to the MG fiction idea board

      Delete
  7. I don't read much fantasy, but this is one that I think I would really like. The cover is gorgeous, so I imagine the art inside is also lovely. I love the idea of the story. I think I will check it out. Thanks for your review. Nice to see you here.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles