7/23/23

The Destiny of Minou Moonshine, by Gita Ralleigh

I first heard about The Destiny of Minou Moonshine, by Gita Ralleigh, when I was compiling a list of debut middle grade fantasy books for 2023, and I immediately wanted to read this historical fantasy set in an alternate India!  I was fortunate to have that pleasure this weekend, and it was a lovely read!

Minou is a foundling who has lived for all her 13 years with her adopted grandmother in a ramshackle boathouse shelter in Moonlally, a queendom colonized by foreigners (the British Raj with different names, and slightly different culture and technology...).  Her grandmother has raised her to be fierce, smart, and respectful of the Dark Goddess who, despite the efforts of the colonizers, continues to be worshiped by the local people.  Thirteen years ago, the last Queen died, and now a wicked General rules by fear and force.

When her grandmother is killed in suspicious circumstances, Minou joins the rebels bent on overthrowing the General....and so her adventures begin, taking her into the secret heart of the old palace, the jungles beyond Moonlally, and even the skies above it in the general's own airship.  The Queen still lives, and can, perhaps, be found.  With true friends at her side, a marvelous mechanical elephant to help considerable with travel through the jungle, and only a few derailments when her kind and generous heart threatens the quest to find the Queen, Minou succeeds in her quest...only to find that she's also found her own unexpected path forward.

A great read for middle grade readers who love stories of plucky girls vs tyrants, with action that zips briskly along.  Sometimes the resolutions to dangers seemed too easy to me as an adult reader, but this I think actually adds to the appeal of the book to those of its target audience who are in the market for fun reads and not doorstoppers.  Even so I found the adventure part of the story to be lots of fun, especially the steampunk-esque elements, and Minou is certainly a character to cheer for.  

That being said, what I enjoyed most were the pictures the words made for me.  It was a lovely trip to an alternate India!  

Out now in hardcover in the UK from Zephyr, an imprint of Bloomsbury, available also as an ebook in the US.  



6 comments:

  1. Once again, taunted by titles available across the pond! I don't know if there will ever be a good way to circulate e books in my library. Thanks for the fun look at this title, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books set in India and ones where the plot moves along. I'm adding this to my TBR list. I'm glad you joined us this week. I hope you'll continue to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to confess I do like stories of tyrants being over thrown :) This sounds a great combination of fantasy, steampunk, alternative history, and one for the TBR list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many appealing aspects in this fantasy set in India. Of course the setting peaked my interest first, but also the characters, steampunk, and a mechanical elephant. I hope to read this one soon. Thanks for featuring your review on this week's MMGM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at steampunk and mechanical elephant, how cool sounding. Nice to see your feature this week and Happy MMGM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen this book before, but it sounds like such an exciting and intriguing read, Charlotte! Thanks so much for the thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles