5/6/08

Books I read in April

I broke no records for new books read in April--for much of the month I was poorly and my husband was off playing Irish music in Japan, so I did a lot of comfort re-reading. But here are the new to me books I read:

Persepolis by Marjane Satrape I have now painlessly acquired a much clearer understand of 20th century Iranian history.

Best Foot Forward by Joan Bauer (my review)

Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey (my review, which is really more a whine)

Eleven by Patricia Reily Giff (review pending)

Project Mulberry by Linda Sue Park (my review)

Captain Peggy Angela Brazil, picked up for $2 in a used book store. Angela Brazil is one of the Big Names of the early 20th century girl's boarding school genre, and although I wouldn't spend much more than $2 on one of her books, it was quite a good read. I won't spoil it for you, but Peggy's quick thinking when she saved the bus load of school girls at the end was truly admirable!

Winterbound by Margery Bianco A very happy find at the same book store. I learned of this book here, at the blog Collecting Children's Books, and although it didn't really do it for Peter, I thought it was great! But then, I am a huge sucker for books where girls have to make a home for younger siblings under difficult circumstances, particularly out in the country. If any fan of Gwendoline Courtney* should read this (unlikely), you will definitely like this book.

Emergence: Labeled Autistic by Temple Grandin and Margaret M. Sceriano Fascinating.


*Gwendoline Courtney was a mid 20th century English writer of books for girls--several of her stories (Sally's Family, The Farm on the Downs, The Girls of Friar's Rise) are about families in relatively isolated, difficult circumstances...I particularly recommend Sally's Family (which I shall someday review in full...d.v.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Counter

Button styles