3/24/09

The Hugo Awards Shortlist

Anathem by Neal Stephenson (Morrow; Atlantic UK)
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (HarperCollins; Bloomsbury UK)
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Tor Teen; HarperVoyager UK)
Saturn's Children by Charles Stross (Ace; Orbit UK)
Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi (Tor)

Wow! Three directly marketed as YA, one (Anathem) that features teenagers, one (Graveyard Book) that's for middle-grade readers on up, and, um, then there's Saturn's Children, about which Publisher's Weekly said "Sex oozes from every page of this erotic futuristic thriller..."

I also find it interesting that something that is as utterly un-sciency as The Graveyard Book made it onto the list for the most prestigious science fiction award.

Here's the rest of the ballot.

3 comments:

  1. Wow is right! Wow. Weird year for sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I imagine that fans of "real" science fiction are pretty bemused/ticked off....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah, I have been reading heated debates on the nominees this year! Lots of unimpressed people. I was really surprised by the list, but it just must mean that it wasn't a great year for sci-fi. Especially Saturn's Children. I am shocked that made the list, so now of course I have changed my mind about reading it and have to see what it is all about! The Graveyard Book doesn't make much sense to me, either.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles