6/7/12

An introvert went to BEA (final BEA post before launching into a mad whirl of reading and reviewing)

I am home, and aching more than some what--I cleverly (?) and deliberately self-sabotaged myself at BEA this year by not bringing a suitcase with wheels, so that I would only take books that I really truly wanted. There were thirty seven of them--one more would have made it intolerable to stagger from the bus to the train--and so I am happy on that count.

My final tip for introverts at BEA is to go for a second year! It is so much more comfortable to be in a familiar setting, and though my spot outside where I could be alone was off-limits due to construction, I found a nice secluded doorstep that I had all to myself. Knowing what you are doing, in a purely practical, physical sense, makes any situation easier for an introvert, and, you know, probably for extroverts too! (Waves to extroverts).

My confidence as a blogger increases every year, and I engaged in several meaningful and interesting conversations with not only fellow bloggers and line-mates, but with publishers, which was pleasing.

It was lovely seeing all of you who I saw, though I am sad that there were people I didn't see who I wanted to.

I saw no signs of bloggers behaving badly this year, perhaps because there weren't that many piles of arcs! Every line that I was in behaved well, and the only person I saw doing something naughty was a quite old man, not a blogger, who jumped with surprising nimble-ness over one of the chains that had closed off a signing line.

Here is a useful thing that I learned at the Book Blogger Convention that I will apply to my blogging:

When tweeting a review, tweet at the publisher. There's a good chance your tweet might be picked up by them, increasing your review's reach, and it's a nice way to make sure the publisher knows about it (especially if you don't have an email address for them that you are confident about).

The question then becomes--is there a Master List of publishers and their myriad imprints with twitter handles???? If so, could I get it?

And here's the book that made my children happiest: Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers (coming August 2012), which was the last book I took, as I passed the Scholastic booth on my way out the door:


And here's the book that I had never heard of before that I was happiest to get an ARC of--Passion Blue, by Victoria Strauss (November 2012, from Amazon Children's Publishing). Here's the blurb:

"When seventeen-year-old Giulia, the orphaned, illegitimate daughter of a Milanese nobleman, learns she’s to be packed off to a life behind convent walls, she begs an astrologer-sorcerer for a talisman that will secure what she’s certain is her heart’s desire: true love and a place where she belongs. But does she really know the compass of her heart? The convent of Santa Marta is full of surprises, including a workshop of nuns who are creating paintings of astonishing beauty using a luminous blue mixed from a secret formula: Passion Blue. As Giulia’s own artistic self is awakened she’s torn: should she follow the young man who promises to help her escape? Or stay and satisfy her growing desire to paint?"


And on the back there is this: "A lovely read." -- Megan Whalen Turner. If MWT told me a Captian Underpants book was a lovey read, I'd believe her.

Did you know that the Marshall Cavendish line of books has metamorphosed into Amazon Children's Publishing? I didn't. So there, along with forthcoming books, were old friends like Chalk, and Amazon books like Zetta Elliott's A Wish After Midnight, and the Cybil's first shortlisted self-published book, available first only as an ebook, but now "officially" published --Angelfall, by Susan Ee.

Whoever is doing their covers is doing a bang up job!

5 comments:

  1. Passion Blue has just leapt to the top of my to-read list. And welcome home--it sounds as if you made a great success of BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passion Blue sounds terrific - and not just because of Megan Whalen Turner's blurb.

    It makes sense that BEA would work better the second time. I'm an introvert too and I'm much more outgoing when I'm somewhere I feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been enjoying your Introvert at BEA posts, Charlotte. Glad it was a good experience for you this year.

    I don't know of a master twitter list of publisher imprints like you described, but I do have a list that I add to as I run across them. It's here: https://twitter.com/#!/JensBookPage/kidlit-publishers

    I think that adding that publisher handle to review tweets is an excellent tip. I've been doing that for a while, and some of the publishers do retweet. Similarly for authors if you happen to find them on Twitter, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the list, Jenn! I appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. Love to see the introvert survive BEA - thanks for the posts and tips. And a MWT blurb? I'm all over that!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles