1/23/22

Will a middle grade fantasy/sci fi book win the Newbery Award this year?

 Back in 2017, I successfully guessed the The Girl Who Drank the Moon had a good shot at the Newbery.  Last year's winner was also fantasy (or at least very fantasy adjacent)--When You Trap a Tiger, by Tae Keller.  Will another fantasy/sci fi book win this year?  Here are some I think might have a chance.

The Raconteur's Commonplace Book, by Kate Milford (my review).  This is my top pick.  I think it is the strongest writing of any mg I've read this year.  Not only did I personally love it and find it entertaining, I think if the committee wants "literature" this might be it.

The Last Cuentista, by Donna Barba Higuera (my review)  A strong contender primarily based on the incredibly powerful story.

Root Magic, by Eden Royce (my review) A powerful, moving, well-written story that is also important.

Too Bright to See, by Kyle Lukoff (my review) ditto

The Troubled Girls of Dragomir Academy, by Anne Ursu (my review)  I think this is Anne Ursu's best book, which is saying a lot.  And the Newbery could use, I think, a bit of smashing the patriarchy.

Do you have any mg spec fic favorites in the running?

7 comments:

  1. I've seen Amari and the Night Brothers tossed around as a contender-- though I doubt it's strong enough against the competition, it's the only book I read last year that has a remote chance, so I'll give it a cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any of these are possible, and all fall within the normal parameters of books that the judges like that my students don't care much about. I am somehow always disappointed by the Newberys, but continue to care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last Cuentista seems to me like one some kids at least will like lots....

      Delete
  3. You remind me I wanted to read The Raconteur's Commonplace Book - and it's available from the e-library! I'll check it out.

    The others are on hold but I'll hope to read it soon. I've not been reading MG fantasy much at all so this is a good shortlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! I love Kate Milford's writing.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read a lot of books from 2021 but I agree that Too Bright to See has a good shot. I would be very pleased to see it awarded.

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Counter

Button styles