11/14/23

We the Future, by Cliff Lewis, for Timeslip Tuesday

We the Future, by Cliff Lewis (April 2023, North Star Editions), is a powerful story of a girl from the future working as a catalyst to start, one friend, one school yard conversation at a time, a flood of climate activism.  Don't be put off, as I almost was, by some climate change information dumping at the beginning, or by the pink spacesuit the girl, Sunny, from the future is wearing.  Stay of the growth of the movement and ride its wave toward hope.  

And on the way, watch Jonah, a kid with asthma so bad it could kill him, a lonely kid with no friends, find with Sunny's help how to use his voice and his gift for reading people to be a founder of a movement that will change Sunny's disastrous present a century in the future.  There's lots of good storytelling here, and it really builds and builds beautifully.  

The time travel aspect of the plot provides not just Sunny the catalyst but also two goons who have followed her back into the past to retrieve the time travel device they feel she stole from them. There are also, thanks to this device, little jumps into the recent past that pleasingly allow events to work out.  

All in all, very satisfying, and I was sincerely moved.  I'd be curious to know what actual young readers make of it--will they react with cynicism or zeal?  Possibly I will feal more cynical about this story tomorrow than I do right now, having just finished, but I did finish fired up....And that's all I will type, as my nose is very cold (the wood stove is in another room, and the heats not on.  Though I knew even before reading this that individual "green" actions aren't what's needed, I still grimly live in a cold house....).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Counter

Button styles