12/19/22

The books my loved ones are getting for Christmas

Here are the books my loved ones are getting for Christas this year!  (my sister no longer reads my blog, as mg fantasy/sci fi isn't her thing which  is fine, so I can include her.  My other sister and her family are in the Netherlands, and not coming this year, so no books for them).

For my oldest (now 22)

Housekeeping, by Marilynne Robinson (a request--this was much loved required reading in high school that I didn't buy at time, and I have been urged to read it too)

Parable of the Sower, by Octavia Butler (a lucky booksale find--I need to read it too!)

Babel, by R.F. Kuang (also one I want to read)

For my youngest (now 19)

Elric of Melniboné: The Elric Saga Part 1 (1) by Michael Moorcock (a request, and the book I was most reluctant to spend my money on.  I tried really hard to read it myself back in the 1980s, and just could not.)

History in 100 Numbers, by Joel Levy (he likes learning things, and it was a booksale find)

The Wordhord: Daily Life in Old English, by Hana Videen (the one book I got for him that I want to read too!)

For my sister

A Picnic in the Shade, by Rosemary Edisford (a lovely copy of a scarce mid 20th century book that sounded good; she will also get the pleasure of adding it to goodreads)

Janet, Her Winter in Quebec, and Janet at Odds, by  Anna Chapin Ray (early 20th century girls books there were on her wish list)

For my sister (and me too)

Once Upon a Tome, by Oliver Darkshire (we like books about bookselling)

Run Sheep Run, by Bob and Jan Young (we like vintage books and saw the cover of this one and made fun of it just two weeks ago and then I found it in a used bookstore this past weekend, so it will make her laugh when she opens it and we might well enjoy it too.  I will let her be the one to add it to goodreads)

For my nephew (also 19)

Shuna's Journey, by Miyazaki (beautiful graphic novels by favorite film makers seem a safe pick for the less committed reader....)

For my mother

Beartown, by Fredrik Backman (with reservations--she loves his earlier books, but this one apparently is darker, so maybe she won't like it, but I snagged it like new from a little free library, leaving something in its place of course, so it is no loss if she doesn't want to read it and I have other presents for her)

Here, mostly of interest to me but in case you need ideas for younger kids, are 2008201020122013, 2014, 201520162017, and 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Counter

Button styles